Book Forum  >  General Discussion  >  Teen Inventor’s High-Level EM...

Pages: « 1 |  2  |  Next »

Webpoll   

Do you all think my invention will be funded and eventually go into national production?
(1)
Yes
(2)
May be
(3)
No
(4)
Unlikely
(5)
Possible
(6)
Probable

Marc
Teen Inventor’s High-Level EMP Attenuation System Can Protect America‏
Date: Apr 27, 2010 5:24:54 AM PDT
Author: Marc

I have an invention that would be in the category of nuclear arms protection. It was built to stop the effects of an EMP no matter what the power rating or frequency is, as long as it is equipped with the correct components. It allows cables, power and communication, to enter into hardened equipment at a cost that, in some applications, will not go beyond $800. It seems unrealistic but I have perfected my system to the point where it can be built for that cost in some applications. My system would allow all electronics to stay on and would not require that another generator be placed inside a "hardened" cage. With my system, if a nuclear bomb were to go off in flight, we wouldn't know it happened until the news reported it as no electronics would need to be turned off and no electronics would be damaged. This would allow the U.S. DoD to shoot down nuclear missiles without the risk of blowing the power grid.

I believe my invention is something that will attract the interest of major power stations, server farms, and high-power building due to the possibility of an EMP attack at any time over the U.S. Why else would countries allow the U.S. to continue spending despite its debt?

One example of an application is with Bloom Energy. With my product working with Bloom, we will not only deliver cost effective energy, but we will also protect major corporations from dangerous over voltages. eBay and Google are prime examples.

You can find it all over Google by searching for: Teen inventor EMP, or EMP attenuation

A site posted my invention at: http://www.greeninventions.info/EMP-Attenuation-System.php

It is also on blogspot: http://teenempattenuation.blogspot.com/

Associated Content also has it: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2915910/teen_inventors_highlevel_emp_attenuation.html?cat=1

What do you all think? Would this be good enough, or is the government already happy with only faraday cages. Without my system, they would need a generator INSIDE the faraday cage. My system allows cables to run into the cage.

Marc,
Regards, Marc Brown Jr. Mechatronics Engineering Inventor/ Programmer/ Designer/ Entrepreneur Vale Varka Systems.com

peterg
Totally unsubstantiated
Date: Apr 27, 2010 10:05:41 PM PDT
Author: peterg

There is nothing here of value. Everything is self-published.
The "demonstration" shows nothing. Some of the technical
descriptions are using important words incorrectly. Some of
the claims, such as the descriptions of a Faraday cage, are
factually wrong. The breadboarded diode circuit does
nothing significant. If the diodes are zener diodes as stated,
they are being used incorrectly. There's something weird
going on with the large breaker box, the small-gauge wires
coming out of it, and the flashlight on top of it.

(Oddly, the breaker box appears to be reused from a
previous project, documented in YouTube videos, to build a
"5-axis milling machine." Comments on the second of those
videos suggest this project failed.)

There is no indication that anyone else on Earth knows what
has been done here. In fact, there is no indication that the
inventor knows what he's doing. This could be the greatest
invention in history, but there is nothing here to support that
conclusion.

I do not know the inventor, and I have no interest in
undercutting his efforts to save the world. I just don't see
any evidence that he has achieved anything.

Marc
It's weird how people do not listen but want to be a critic.
Date: Apr 28, 2010 5:00:23 AM PDT

Originally Posted by peterg:
Everything is self-published;
The "demonstration" shows nothing. Some of the technical
descriptions are using important words incorrectly; Some of
the claims, such as the descriptions of a Faraday cage, are
factually wrong; The breadboarded diode circuit does
nothing significant; There's something weird
going on with the large breaker box, the small-gauge wires
coming out of it;
(Oddly, the breaker box appears to be reused from a
previous project;
In fact, there is no indication that the
inventor knows what he's doing;

Let us see now. First, everything could not have been self-published because I do not own the green inventions site. Your information is biased there, how can someone believe the rest of what you are trying to get across?

Second, a blind person could understand what I am doing just by "listening" to what I said throughout the entire video. It's odd how you try to be a critic, but you didn't listen on what you're trying to criticize. Definitions, attenuation you are probably talking about, means to reduce, how did I use that improperly? You probably cannot answer that yourself. May be that's why you said I was only using them wrongly.

Third, a Faraday Cage is sort of a quarantine device that blocks off electronics from the rest of the world. You may be able to run low power cables into it, but at the high-level that power stations run at, your "homebuilt" cage wouldn't stand a chance.

Fourth, I even said at the beginning of the video, "the breadboard is very simple, it is used to control the INPUT voltage, which is very low... ...Now some of you might think, 'well if the voltage is so high, why are you using a breadboard?' The breadboard is something that is only controlling very low voltages." Try to listen and interpret before you try to criticize. Are you even licensed to criticize? By what you typed, no.

Fifth, once again the wires going into and out of the breaker are only handling low voltage that is being boosted later down the circuit. It also doesn't matter how much I used my breaker as long as it works. Do you even have a breaker? Not the one supplied by your house.

Sixth, why don't you tell me how I do not know what I am doing. You think that by saying things that aren't even relavent to this topic; trying to be an uncertified critic, is going to trick me into posting prints, diagrams, and exactly what goes on in my system. This is NOT for the average consumer. It was built to protect America's power grid, not to be used as some hobbyist's home project.

Lastly, before you try to criticize me, get all of your information from the sources. May be contact the real OWNER of greeninventions.info, and you'll see that he is very different. That's mostly why you are not a critic, you cannot get SIMPLE information from a 5 minute video. WOW. Peace.
Regards, Marc Brown Jr. Mechatronics Engineering Inventor/ Programmer/ Designer/ Entrepreneur Vale Varka Systems.com

jerrye
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 28, 2010 2:42:04 PM PDT
Author: jerrye

I have to agree with Peterg that there is no way to tell from the videos if this would work, and all of the indications are that it would not. Anything that is going to protect against EMP on a power line would also have to protect against lightning, and it doesn't look like there are any components here are anything even close to being large enough to absorb a lightning strike, or even to absorb the power of an EMP on a long line. No matter what the source of the transient, the transients are absorbed by being converted to heat (or stored temporarily, then converted to heat). I've seen a lot of small voltage transient protection components simply vanish when exposed to a large voltage transient, leaving nothing but the two wires that were the leads to the protection component.

The more important point, though, is that the technology for protecting against EMP on any kind of line is already well known. Many of these techniques are already in wide use in military systems and a few civilian systems. Some companies specialize in this sort of thing and have many engineers on staff with considerable expertise in this.

The problem is not that the EMP suppressors don't exist. The problem is that they are not being used on critical civilian systems. EMP suppression requires a very systematic layered approach, with large and relatively slow suppressors like large MOVs on the outside, and smaller, much faster zener-like transient voltage suppressors on the inner layers. Ferrite cylinders around the wires at key points can remove the higher-frequency components of the transients.

I don't want to discourage any young inventor from working on new inventions, but the successful inventors usually have to learn the hard way that timing is everything. Most inventors fail at nearly all of their early inventions. Working hard at an invention, only to find out that it's already been done, is a common experience. You have to find something that nobody has invented yet, but that people will need in a few years.

JerryE
Last modified by jerrye on Apr 28 2010 2:45PM

Marc
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 28, 2010 7:41:25 PM PDT

Anything that is going to protect against EMP on a power line would also have to protect against lightning, and it doesn't look like there are any components here are anything even close to being large enough to absorb a lightning strike, or even to absorb the power of an EMP on a long line.

The more important point, though, is that the technology for protecting against EMP on any kind of line is already well known. Many of these techniques are already in wide use in military systems and a few civilian systems.

The system shown in the video is for testing. The components can be modified to work with the high-power used for larger scale applications.

Also, where can I find information on the techonologies the military is using that are similiar to this? Do they protect the lines and the systems at high voltages, or are they only used for lower voltages?

jerrye
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 28, 2010 10:25:14 PM PDT

Also, where can I find information on the techonologies the military is using that are similiar to this? Do they protect the lines and the systems at high voltages, or are they only used for lower voltages?

This is a really big subject, and there a lot of people and companies working in this field. One site that has a number of free downloads relevant to this subject is:

http://www.pdfgeni.com/book/MIL-STD-EMP-pdf.html

The basic military standard for EMP protection is MIL-STD-188-125-1, which is one of the free downloads on that page.

Transtector is the name of a company that produces EMP protection boxes for the electrical service on buildings the size of an ordinary house or slightly larger. You can google "Transtector" for additional information.

Polyphaser is a company that makes EMP blockers for all kinds of low-voltage specific applications, like telephone lines, video lines and antenna transmission lines of all kinds.

There is probably a lot more information in the above sources than you were looking for, but it is a very large field. It's difficult to be concise about this because the protection technology is constantly changing. A lot of significant improvements have been made just in the last few years.

JerryE

Marc
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 29, 2010 5:01:20 AM PDT

Originally Posted by jerrye:

Transtector is the name of a company that produces EMP protection boxes for the electrical service on buildings the size of an ordinary house or slightly larger.

Polyphaser is a company that makes EMP blockers for all kinds of low-voltage specific applications, like telephone lines, video lines and antenna transmission lines of all kinds.

Jerry, I presume, I'm listening to what you are getting across but if something is not the same as my system then I will point it out.

I really understand that not enough information was provided in the video on YouTube so I am working on another one that will explain as much as it can on the matter. I will also try to open a forum that will allow people to ask me what was not covered so that I can explain it.

The companies I looked at only work with certain frequencies and only go to a specific voltage range. My system is one version that works with any frequency and voltage that owould be viable.

If this is also the first of its kind, it could be a innovation in circuit breaker technology.

My system doesn't use shunting nor does it use filters to cancel out the shunted overvoltage.

If anything else is not covered tell me so that I can explain it.

Thanks for you facts and opinions.

Marc
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 29, 2010 5:08:19 AM PDT

Transtector is the name of a company that produces EMP protection boxes for the electrical service on buildings the size of an ordinary house or slightly larger.

Jerry, I presume, I'm listening to what you are getting across but if something is not the same as my system then I will point it out.

I really understand that not enough information was provided in the video on YouTube so I am working on another one that will explain as much as it can on the matter. I will also try to open a forum that will allow people to ask me what was not covered so that I can explain it.

The companies I looked at only work with certain frequencies and only go to a specific voltage range. My system is one version that works with any frequency and voltage that owould be viable.

If this is also the first of its kind, it could be a innovation in circuit breaker technology.

My system doesn't use shunting nor does it use filters to cancel out the shunted overvoltage.

If anything else is not covered tell me so that I can explain it.

Thanks for you facts and opinions.

Marc
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 29, 2010 4:53:20 PM PDT

This is a really big subject, and there a lot of people and companies working in this field.

What my system doesn’t use that makes it cost effective, more redundant, and completely different:

· No shunts, grounding, or EM filters needed.
· No limit on the frequency range or power rating when the correct components are supplied.
· No delay in the attenuation response; instantaneous.
· No required connection type between “dirty” and “clean” connections.
· No required voltage type needed for the same level of protection; DC and AC voltage is accepted.
· No add-on components adding to the total cost; shunt capacitors, MOVs, resistors, secondary SASD arrays, feed-thru capacitors, or diodes of any kind are needed.
· No add-on transient protector or lightning arrestor.

What my system has that makes it faster, more cost effective than current systems, and completely different:

· Encourages the predefined power but blocks out transient voltages.
· Effective EMP coverage.
· Can be combined with ANY system that has an input.
· Can compensate for any loses allowing for a gain in either voltage or current.
· No limit on the place of installation as long as the elementary characteristics of the components are met.
· Works in any operating condition that does not go above the elemental ratings of the components.
· No components to burn out in regular operating conditions or during predefined over voltage conditions.
· Costs, for some applications, do not go above $800.
· Only adjustments in the metallic and dielectric components are needed to fit the application, therefore, lowering the cost.
· Soon to be available to the general population under strict circumstances.
· Because a ground is not needed, the risk of conducting a voltage from underground conductors is expelled.
· Natural transient surge protectors and lightening arrestors are created during the construction of the system.

jerrye
EMP attenuation.
Date: Apr 29, 2010 8:19:41 PM PDT

Marc, nearly all of your claims violate well-accepted laws of physics. As astronomer Carl Sagan once said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." You will have to come up with quite an extraordinary demonstration to get anyone to take you seriously. (That is a fact of reality, though, that nearly all inventors have to deal with.)

JerryE

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Topic Tags
America‏   Attenuation   breaker   Breakthrough   Can   circuit   Critic   electromagnetic   EMP   Flare   foolish   grid   High   Inventor   Level   magnetosphere   nuclear   Power   presentation   Protect   Protection   protects   pulse   school   solar   System   technology   Teen